Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In peace...

Woodwick candle is crackling. What a comforting noise. Its flickering light reflects on one of my favorite scriptures that I framed and put on my nightstand. It is not just any scripture. Those are words that I repeat to myself over and over again as I try to fall asleep and insomnia threatens to take over despite my best efforts. I repeat those words when I feel the anxiety building at 3:00 in the morning. Those who have been there know what it feels like. It starts with a passing thought which grows into this monster that takes over your logic, your heart rate, your breathing. You cry, you feel helpless and you just don’t know what to do. That’s when I repeat those wise words over and over again. They are my lifeline, they become my mantra, and some nights I know that those words are the only things that are true, that are real among my fears, my anxieties, my nightmares.

“In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8 (ESV)

No comments: